Thursday, May 26, 2011

Opal- the latest addition to our garden area

We are having a great time with learning about goats. Opal is a wonderful addition. I thought that we were going to be making cheese- but that will be down the road. Opal doesn't seem to have the patience for training us in milking! We haven't completely given up yet- but if I don't get the hang of it soon, she will have dried up for the season. However, beside being great company, she is doing a great job of trimming the shoots that I have to keep trimming around the trees.

I thought that there would be concerns with letting her freely graze while I planted more things in the gardens. However, the only thing that tempted her was the corn seeds. I've seen her take a nibble or two from the grape vines and a couple of herbs but she seems much more intent on the fruit tree shoots- which works out perfect for me. I will be posting a picture of her soon.

The only one that seems to not be thrilled with Opal is our indoor dog, Chacita, she keeps getting head butted whenever she gets too close to Opal.

My next goal is to build a milk stand- in talking to Opal's previously family- I will have to make one that is basically just a stand slightly above ground. It was the only way that they were able to milk her.

No comments: